Today could be a historic day in hockey. With a passing vote, the league could expand from 31 to 32 team before the day is done. Hockey fans in Seattle are on edge as a major professional winter sports team appears to be just within grasp now. Seattle could, finally, be joining the NHL in the next few hours.
With it will come changes for at least one current NHL team, as the league must balance the divisions out. The likely outcome? Arizona shifts to the central, although there are alternate outcomes that are possible as well. For now, we wait.
- The Seattle Times is ready for the announcement, as they touch on how today could pave the way for an October 2021 start time for the franchise.
- The Philadelphia Flyers have named former Minnesota Wild GM Chuck Fletcher to the same position. Fletcher replaces Ron Hextall, who was dismissed last week by the club.
- Seattle isn’t the only major franchise decision that is facing the NHL. Gary Bettman is “disappointed” but is ready to help the Ottawa Senators make a much needed move to downtown Ottawa.
- The Pittsburgh Penguins made their second mid-season trade yesterday, sending winger Daniel Sprong to the Ducks in exchange for defender Marcus Pettersson.
- Winnipeg’s Mark Scheifele was the headliner as the NHL announced their three stars of the week yesterday.
- Bad news for Bruin fans: There is no timetable for the return of defender Charlie McAvoy.
- Believe it or not, we are only a month and a half away from the NHL All-Star game in San Jose. NHL.com’s group of experts make their picks for the four divisional rosters.