Hope you all had a happy 4th of July and are enjoying (hopefully) your time off! The NHL, however, takes no time off and the news flow has continued through the first week of free agency. This morning, we’ve seen a few depth signings by teams and an Erik Karlsson trade appears to be getting closer and closer by the minute.
Let’s take a look at what is happening during this first Friday in July.
- The Edmonton Oilers have re-signed forward Ryan Strome to a two-year contract, leaving Darnell Nurse as their only unsigned RFA. Thoughts on the signing from The Oilers Rig.
- 44 RFA’s, including Vegas’ William Karlsson, New York’s Jimmy Vesey and Ryan Spooner, Minnesota’s Jason Zucker and Calgary’s Elias Lindholm, filed for salary arbitration prior to yesterday’s 5:00 pm deadline. Here’s a full list of the players that applied for the process.
- Alex Burrows went from the ECHL to the right wing on a line with the Sedin twins in Vancouver. Even though he spent a good amount of time as arguably the most hated player in the league, Burrows still carved a solid career out for himself. Earlier this morning, he hung up the skates and began the next chapter of his career.
- Tyler Ennis, after being bought out in late June, has found a new home. The veteran winger has agreed to terms on a one-year deal with the Toronto Maple Leafs.
- The Tampa Bay Lightning and Ottawa Senators are working on a trade to send franchise defender Erik Karlsson to Tampa. The latest on the rumors from TSN.